Dog's life chronicled by her servant. Suitable for all ages. Void where prohibited.

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Found Online

There’s always something out there, online, that has a message for us in one way or another. We find things, or they find us, sent to us by online and offline conspirators, messages and pictures (which are worth, last I heard, a thousand words) that suddenly mean something significant.

I received one such picture last night.

The Killing Machine was in rare form yesterday. On her morning walk she stumbled upon a cat. There are a great many cats running loose around here, both pets and feral cats that live in the wildlife refuge in the middle of our complex. Cats everywhere. I, fortunately, was not there, but Andrew was.

Poor Andrew. I would not have wanted him to witness such an event.

Anyway, we steer her away from cats. We always keep her leashed in the complex because of the proliferation of fun things to chase. (Off-leash dog parks, for some reason, are remarkably devoid of little chaseable creatures such as cats and squirrels.) So she was on a leash. But the entered a heavily shaded area and didn’t see the cat that was there . . . until dog was close enough to cat to grab it.

And she did, because for some reason she’s gotten it into her little head that this is what she’s supposed to do. Her handler was beside himself as he tried to rescue the kitty (not technically, though if he had been it might have been helpful as he could have used the help), as he pulled the dog away (but dog had kitty firmly by the neck), as he, hopefully, smacked the offending dog. Kitty escaped, and ran off, though perhaps with a slight limp. Andrew looked for her, but could not find her. Dog was chastised severely. (I’m not sure Dog cared, since she enjoys a good cat chase.)

They came home. I heard about Dog’s exploits and looked at her with disgust. She smiled at me, pleased with herself as usual.

Then last night I received a picture from Stew that I had to show Dog. It was so appropriate for the situation. You’ve probably seen it. Dog had not.

Dog is rethinking her propensity for cats.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the pic!

6:24 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, there Monique, I am out searching for information on dog training devices and found your site. Although Found Online is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my attention and interest. I see now why I found your page looking for information on dog training devices and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog thanks for the read.

4:09 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home